ESRC Seminar Series CASCADE-NET (Civil Agency, Society and Climate Adaptation to Weather Extremes). Seminar 5: New risk knowledges and social learning – platforms and social networks for knowledge sharing and capacity building
A one-day workshop exploring the interface between different knowledges and social learning in the context of climate change and extreme weather. Questions to be explored:
- What are the new risk knowledges? (their conceptual framing; links to practice).
- What does (or could) social learning mean in this context? What are its settings? (opportunities; challenges of these?)
- How ephemeral are the social networks so established, and is the learning transient?
- What are the opportunities and challenges of different platforms and social networks during emergencies and within the wider Extreme Weather Adaptation Cycle?
- What are the impacts of new and changing media practices on social learning for extreme weather adaptation?
- How are these platforms and social networks being used by different interest groups? How could they be used now/future –with what incentives and inhibitors?
- What are the research needs and priorities – conceptual; methodological? How is research informing policy and practice?
Speakers will be from academia, policy and practice including Civic Society, Welsh government, Resilience Agencies and Academia. Confirmed speakers include: Robert Knowles (Senior Climate Resilience Advisor, Welsh Government); Dr Joanne Garde-Hansen (Culture, Media and Communication, University of Warwick); and Dr Joseph Sobol (George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling, University of South Wales). More details to follow shortly. The seminar will have a strong focus on group discussion and participation.
The event is co-hosted by: The George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling, University of South Wales, Cardiff, and the Centre for Water, Communities and Resilience, University of the West of England, Bristol, working with a number of individuals and agencies.
Date/time: 10:30-16:00, Friday 19 October 2018 (10am for coffee & networking)
Venue: Temple of Peace, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3AP.
Places are limited. To register please do so before 30 September by following this link. Early registration is highly recommended to guarantee a place.
For full information, including about bursaries for early career researchers and civil society members and organisations, please contact CASCADE.NET@uwe.ac.uk. For further information about the aims of CASCADE-NET see here.
For further information or queries or if you have any specific dietary requirements or will require a parking space please contact: email@example.com